Harry Potter fever has been in our home for a while now. Chloe and her group of girlfriends all aged around 7-8 years old have been addicted to the series since the beginning of the year. She's currently halfway through book #4 and for a girl entering 3rd grade, I'm so impressed that she's hooked on reading these dense (and heavy!) chapter books.
Author J.K. Rowling is taking Harry Potter to London stage and the script for the play will be available in book form by midnight this Saturday. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story with Harry Potter all grown up with three kids and working at the Ministry of Magic.
80 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127
phone: (415) 564-8080
To celebrate the book launch, Bookshop in the West Portal neighborhood in San Francisco is hosting a Midnight Release Party that starts on Saturday, July 30th at 2pm and goes until the book is ready for sale at Midnight.
There will be tons of activities for the kids and adults alike! It doesn't just happen at Bookshop, there will be lots of wizarding displays and photo opportunities all throughout the West Portal neighborhood. Visitors will be given a (marauder’s) map to all participating restaurants and merchants.
There will be prizes throughout the day for the best wizards and witches. In the evening, BookShop West Portal has teamed up with the San Francisco chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance (I Left My Wand in San Francisco) to produce a most wondrous evening as we count down to the midnight release of the book. Among the activities scheduled are a live staged reading by San Francisco’s renowned Word for Word Performing Arts Company, as well as adult trivia and costume contests.
Bookshop is currently taking pre-ordered of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child at a 20% discount. (Support your local SF bookstore!)
Schedule of Events
Outside in Diagon Alley:
- 2:00 – 3:00pm Magical crafts, activities, and possibly a little spell casting?
- 3:00 – 4:00pm Meet a live owl! (Scientist from The Randall Museum)
- 4:00 – 4:45pm Costume parade around West Portal
- 4:45 – 5:30pm Kid’s costume contest
Inside in Flourish and Blots:
- 8:00 – 9:00pm Performance by Word for Word Performing Arts Company
- 9:30 – 10:15pm Adult costume contest
- 10:30 – 11:30pm Trivia contest with the Harry Potter Alliance
- 12:00am – 12:30am Harry Potter and the Cursed Child release!
- 9:00pm – 12:00am Film screening(s)
See you guys at Bookshop on Saturday!